The data on speeding drivers is still overwhelming. There were 46 fatalities because of speeding in 2017, nearly half of all fatalities on our roads.
The most endangered and dangerous group among drivers and passengers in private vehicles are young people between 18 and 24 years of age, and those older than 50. Victims of traffic accidents are often the more vulnerable participants in traffic, mainly pedestrians and cyclists.
The most common reasons for occurrence of traffic accidents are:
- Non-observance of right of way;
- Wrong side and direction of driving;
- Insufficient safety distance;
- Driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs or other psychoactive substances.
Observing the road traffic rules, traffic signs, road conditions, and particularly patience and cooperation among participants in traffic may prevent many accidents.
Speeding 10 km/h above the limit (50 km/h) will increase the braking distance by 12 m, which might be fatal in residential areas. That is why it is important to lower the average speed in residential areas and on regional roads in order to improve traffic safety. By reducing the average speed by just 1 km/h, the number of accidents in residential areas would reduce by 4 percent and by 2 percent outside residential areas (results of foreign research).
The fact that slower is safer is also confirmed by the information that the probability of pedestrian death at 50 km/h is 85 percent, while the probability of a pedestrian dying at 30 km/h falls to less than 10 percent.
Speed is the key risk factor for the most vulnerable groups of participants (pedestrians, cyclists, the elderly and children), and it is also a crucial factor in the severity of the consequences for drivers and passengers in vehicles.
On motorways, there is often a correlation between speed and the maintaining of an inadequately short safety distance.
Preventive action Speed
- Car modruje o prehitri vožnji2018-07-04T14:00:33+01:00
- Če si divjak, nisi junak2018-07-04T13:59:17+01:00
- Thank you2018-07-04T13:58:08+01:00
- Vožnja me sprošča2018-07-04T13:57:18+01:00
- Speeding kills2018-07-04T13:56:39+01:00
- Če si divjak, nisi junak2018-07-04T13:55:47+01:00